1. My sister falling out of the 2 story window. Rumor is that I pushed her but I was 6. I sat on the window seal and then got up and opened it. Then Kelly decided to try it…Anyway, she landed about 6 inches from the air conditioner vent and we are lucky we have her today. I screamed at mom, Kelly fell out the window! Mom ran up, looked out, Kelly was not there. We ran downstairs; Kelly walked up the deck and collapsed. Mild concussion. That would be the important part but I remember she got 2 big coloring books and 2 fish named Laverne and Shirley and she didn’t share...Thats the part I remember
2. Driving to Oklahoma. I remember it was all 5 of us in a 2 door Datsun with no air conditioner and a dog. It was a long trip. I remember every time we traveled, we packed a picnic to save money. I always thought it was fun.
3. Going to the lake after church one Sunday and having life jackets on. Kelly started floating away and I knew she wasn’t coming back. She did
4. Every Sunday, Kelly and would pray we would get to go out to lunch afterwards because back then, it was a BIG deal to go out to eat.
5. It appears a lot of my memories include my siblings. I guess that’s good.HAHA! We went to Godfathers Pizza when the dram queen at age 9 started screaming, Mom, why did they poison me? Why would they want to kill me? My sister had poured some hot pepper on her pizza
6. When we lived in Va, we could take our bikes on a trail to go get ice cream. That neighborhood also had 5 pools and we thought that was cool.
7. Making snowmen in SC. On the deck, we made a huge snowman in the rocking chair and had lifesavers as eyes.
8. The day my moms dad died, I was only 6 or 7 but we were staying at Josh Early’s house (he was a classmate) and I remember being on the phone asking mom if he died. I remember being very sad… That same night, we saw our first naked boy besides my brother as Josh decided to run around naked. we were traumatized
9. Ice Cream eating contest. Back when I was little, I was skinny but whatever. Kelly and I ate strawberry ice cream as fast as we could until I barfed in dads green blanket. Kelly won the bike
10. Christmas in Oklahoma. We stayed up all night and swore we heard the reindeer. On that note, every Christmas has a memory. All 3 of us would camp out in my room and stay up as long as we could and then we would get up at 5 to explore.OH the joys of childhood.
11. In 2nd grade, I did a book report but I guess I didn’t know what it meant so I just rewrote the book and changed some words around.
12. Kelly and I both one a newspaper contest by asking questions. I asked what was Jai Lai and Kelly wanted to know what the heart of the south was. We won 10 dollars and a Webster’s dictionary
13. Church. We were very active in Pioneer Girls, which is like the church Girl Scouts. I loved getting my badges and I loved my leaders.
The last one is soda. Dad would take us to his office and tell us if we were good, we would get our own whole coke. Yippee.
On another note, Saturdays were memorable as we were awoken at 730 and had to clean the house before we watched cartoons. You would think I would have a neater house
As you can tell, I can go on and on about my childhood memories. As mad as I got at my parents (and that was rare) they gave me the best childhood I could have asked. We were not rich, and I loved the fact that we were resourceful.
Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
1. (leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!)
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants